Pioneer Generation subsidies for purchase of medications at Specialist Outpatient Clinics (SOC) at public hospitals and Polyclinics will take effect from 1 January 2015. This is good news for many as the cost savings can be quite significant since medication can be quite significant especially for those suffering from chronic diseases.
Note that subsidies for polyclinic consultations already took effect from 1 September 2014. As polyclinic consultation fees were already so cheap, further subsidies did not translate to any significant cost saving for many.
If your parents belong to the Pioneer Generation, it is important to know what the various subsidies are. The Pioneer Generation are those who were born on or before 31 December 1949 and received their citizenship by 31 December 1986.
To help your parents understand the various schemes,, I have summarised the following relating to the Pioneer Generation subsidies:
- Community Health Assist Scheme (CHAS) subsidies for Pioneer Generation. This allows the Pioneer Generation to be eligible to seek consultation at subsidised rate at more than 1,000 CHAS GP and dental clinics. For example, the subsidy for common cold is $28.50 per visit. If the Pioneer Generation beneficiaries require specialists’ treatment, they can be referred to the government specialists by the CHAS clinics as subsidised patients. This was already effective since 1 September 2014.
- Subsidy for Medishield Life premiums for Pioneer Generation. Pioneer Generation will enjoy MediShield Life premium subsidies of between 40% and 60%. Medishield Life is expected to turn live at the end of 2015.
- Medisave top-ups for Pioneer Generation. This is an annual top-up ranging from $200 to $800. The first top-up was already made in August 2014. The purpose of this top-up is to further help subsidise the Medishield Life premiums.
- Pioneer Generation Disability Assistance Scheme. This is for those who are unable to perform 3 out of 6 Activities of Daily Living. The government will give $100 per month. This is on top of any claims made against Eldershield. The first payout was already made on September 2014.
- On 22 August 2014, it was announced that the Pioneer Generation will enjoy a further additional subsidies of 50% polyclinic services and government hospitals. This is the part which confused many. The 50% additional subsidies for ‘services’ took effect from 1 September 2014. The 50% additional subsidies for ‘medication’ will take effect from 1 January 2015.
By the way, the Pioneer Generation Subsidies will not cover Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). See Pioneer Generation subsidies won’t cover TCM treatment: Gan Kim Yong
Full Report on Pioneer Generation Subsidies
There are, however, many other details which are still unclear. The good news is that you can download the Full Report on Pioneer Generation subsidies. In this report, the following common questions will be answered:
- Is the Pioneer Generation additional 50% subsidies applicable for private patients seeking treatment at the specialist outpatient clinics government hospitals? [Refer to question 55 of the Full Report]
- As there are higher subsidies for needy Pioneers, will your parents be automatically qualified for these higher subsidies if your parents already have the Pioneer Generation CHAS card? [Refer to question 53 of the Full Report]
- Will the Pioneer Generation’s additional 50% subsidies be applicable for non-consultation services such as tests like blood tests and imaging? [Question 58]
- Besides $28.50 per visit subsidy for common illnesses, what further subsidies are there for Pioneer Generation seeking treatment at GPs and dental clinics? [Question 60]
- If your parents have a Health Assist Card before they were issued the Pioneer Generation card, do they need to bring both cards when visiting a CHAS clinic? [Question 63]
- How much exactly will the Medisave top-ups your parents be getting every year? [Question 68]
- What happens if your parents do not have a CPF account to receive the annual Medisave top-ups? [Question 69]
- For those whose parents who are already insured with a private intergrated shield plans, will they be eligible to receive the Medishield Life premium subsidies for Pioneer Generation? [Question 72]
To receive the Full Report on Pioneer Generation Subsidies, all you need is to subscribe to my mailing list by doing the following:
- Enter your particulars below.
- An email will be sent to you asking you to reconfirm your subscription to my mailing list. Once you are on my mailing list, you will regularly receive useful financial planning articles from me. (You can always unsubscribe anytime.)
- We will email you the Full Report on Pioneer Generation subsidies as soon as possible.
This report is available to all existing subscribers.
If you are on my subscriber, you just need to key in your name and address and you will be directed to the link. If you are not my mailing list subscriber, do the following:
- Enter your particulars below.
- An email will be sent to you to confirm your subscription to my mailing list. Once you are on my mailing list, you will receive useful regular financial planning articles from me. (You can always unsubscribe anytime.)
- We will email you the link as soon as possible.